Saturday, March 29, 2008

Neglect

Well, it seems I have neglected this blog and need to post something to make me feel better! Spring break was wonderful, I didn't do any work, pushed it to the edges of my imagination and was very proud of myself for compartmentalizing so effectively! Unfortunately, work called this week and grades and student comments are due on Wednesday. So I am back with the grind of grading all weekend and writing comments. The only good news out of this is that the students are working on individual projects on Monday and Tuesday, so I will have time to get some desperate planning done.

Last night I went to a showing of a documentary about high school marching bands called "From the 50 Yard Line." Yes I was a band geek and proud of it, and that movie made me appreciate even more the lessons I learned in high school about working hard, having and keeping friends, and disappointment (we were certaintly not the best, but we tried VERY hard!) It was also great to see high school students being so invested in each other and the group and made me see all over again how important music education is in our school systems. Some of those students reminded me of my students and that was fun to see. Bryn Mawr doesn't have a band - we have an orchestra, so it is a little different. I miss band! :-)

Well, I just want to close by sending a shout out to all my friends (you know who you are!). I think about you often, even if I am not so good at communicating it. Love ya!

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

oh thanks H - you might be a band geek but I'm a figure skating geek...wonder which is more geeky? hee hee.