Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Across The Universe

So last night I watched this movie called "Across the Universe." There were parts of the movie I really liked, for example, I like how the Beatles songs were woven into the plot and an actual part of the movie. I thought the acting and singing were both great, and I was really impressed by the visual effects and artistry of the movie. I guess I wish they had done a better job of not just showing this one story - the white kids in the city, anti-war story. There were so many other things that happened in the 60's that I felt were not underscored enough. One of the most moving parts of the film was the civil rights riots in Detroit while a boy was singing "Let it Be." That scene was so emotional. Martin Luther King's assassination was a 5 second blip and JFK and RFK weren't even mentioned. This seems like a shame. I think the juxtaposition between fighting overseas for liberty and democracy without some citizens having that right to liberty and freedom should have been emphasized more. Overall, it is a must-see, because it lingers. I love movies that linger.....

Has anyone seen this movie? What did you think?

I am back to work today after having yesterday off for President's Day. Ugh. I am giving a test tomorrow I have to make tonight. :-) Didn't get much done this weekend, even though I promised myself I would. Just couldn't force myself to do it.
Anyone checked the weather report? Snow???? Is it too much to ask? :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the movie....and glad we didn't watch it when I was at your place since it sounds a little too intellectual for me.....and, I love your blog!