Sunday, January 24, 2010

Some Favorite Things

I decided to make a list of some favorite things, so here goes!


1. Fresh cut flowers. There is nothing quite like the spontaneous buy of fresh flowers. You know - you happen to be walking, on a mission - "places to go, people to see", when you get caught up for that one moment, take a breath, and really look at the cut flowers you almost completely missed. So you stop. You look at the pinks, purples, blues and yellows. Wow. And then you decide that whatever you were doing, can wait until you pick out the perfect bouquet. Ahhh.....



2. Bird watching. I love it. I could spend hours watching birds at a feeder. How many are coming? Which species? Watching their little bodies flit across the ground as they go about their everyday business of life. How fun to be a little chickadee!

3. Children's books. I mean the good ones. The old ones. The classics. I love everything about them, their simple yet complex meanings, and their illustrations. Sometimes the place they take me back to - sometimes the place I wish I was. I love that they can do this for me.

4. Puppies. I mean, who doesn't love little animals?? But still, I think out of many different kinds of little animals, puppies are the best. Their squishiness, their playfulness, their puppy breath - but most of all, when they are peacefully sleeping - isn't that great?

5. The color of spring grass. Man, that kelly green in the sunshine gets me every time. When the dull winter brown gets replaced by the new season, the new beginning, the fresh start - when everything seems possible now that the winter has thawed and photosynthesis has begun again.

6. Reading recipes. I actually enjoy flipping through cookbooks and reading the recipes, looking at the pictures and thinking about how I might change or add, or create combinations - it's fun!


7. Snow storms. Anybody who knows me knows how much I love snow. I am a bit of a weather junkie, especially in the winter, and I don't think I could ever live in a place that did not have 4 seasons. So L.A. and Miami are out. :-) But I love snow even more at night. There is something magical about listening to the snowflakes fall that is music to my ears. Like we are in some enchanted forest where magical creatures can come to life at any moment.

8. Traveling. I love exploring new places, but I not in a touristy kind of way. I actually like to get in the car and just go - find those tucked away places - the ones where you say, "people actually live here? It's too perfect!?!?!"

9. Good stories. Whether fictional or real-life. I like nothing better than a good, inticing, captivating and memorable story. Some are funny, some are sad, some are thought-provoking, doesn't matter. I love that we humans have the ability to tell stories (even our own) and imagine stories and listen to stories.

10. Mint. Mmmmm. Peppermint, spearamint, mint tea. I must be honest. I didn't used to love mint. In fact, I avoided it at all costs. Maybe that is why I love it so much now as an adult. I have grown to love it. I love the fresh smell and the bright taste. It is a "pick-me-up" for the senses!

What are some of your favorite things????

7 comments:

Erika said...

What a great list! :) I could argue #2 with you, but at times birds do entertain me.

I would only add: babies! (of course)

my mind wanders said...

Thanks Erika!! Of course! :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Thank you for this - the perfect thing to get me to slow down and think of life's goodness at then end of a busy and difficult day

Virginia Gal said...

H!

I love fresh cut flowers as well! It was one of my favorite things while living in Denmark, oh I how I miss it so!

This list was very informative in learning a little bit more about one of my favorite friends!!

ps - I would put British comedies and reading romance novels on my list : )

my mind wanders said...

Kate,
I am glad this could cheer you up, that's what your blog does for me! :-) I hope your day got better!

Ub,
You are too funny! I could have guessed both for you! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

That is an excellent list. I probably share just about all of them, however, I would substitute "felines" for "puppies" (nothing against the pups-they are also cute!) I would also add chocolate fondue, historic homes, ghost stories, and my friends, including you and the rest of the Nucleus! -Stephanie