Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ah, Snowy Saturdays


I am most content today to sit with my down blanket, light a candle, drink/eat my tomato chicken soup, read my book, and occasionally look up to watch the snow.

Isn't it wonderful!?!?!?

Here is my recipe, I made some this morning.

2 Tbsp of olive oil
2-3 carrots, chopped (1/2-3/4 cup)
1 cup of onion (I like sweet, sometimes I've used scallions, and it has been good)
2 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans of low sodium chicken broth (or 4 cups)
1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of crushed tomatoes (with no seasoning added. Also, you could use any type of tomatoes really - depends on what I have in my pantry. Sometimes I add a little tomato paste, or tomato sauce if I don't like the consistency - you'll have to experiment!)
2 chicken breasts, diced into bite size (1/2 inch) cubes
4 branches of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tsp of marjoram
salt and pepper

In my dutch oven, I add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and get that heated. I then add the chicken and cook for about 6-8 minutes until they are cooked. I salt (but not too much) and pepper the chicken before adding to the pot. I remove the chicken and let it sit on a plate. I then add the other Tbsp of olive oil and saute the carrots, celery and onion. I also salt and pepper at this point. Once the veggies have become soft (5 minutes) I add the garlic and stir for about another 1-2 minutes. I add the chicken broth and tomatoes and the thyme, bay leaf, marjoram and pepper. I let this heat up, then add the chicken and beans and check it for flavor. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Check for flavor. Serve.

NOTE: Sometimes (like this morning) I add 1-2 medium potatoes (diced) as well to make it more chunky. You decide!

By the way, I am reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockert, it is wonderful so far, I recommend!

3 comments:

Erika said...

We got TEN INCHES! AT THE BEACH! Can you believe it? As soon as you mentioned the soup I wanted the recipe...so thanks- sounds delicious.

my mind wanders said...

Erika,
I saw that!!! Wow. We got about 6 inches. Well, at least you are not missing the snow down there!! :-)

Virginia Gal said...

I read "The Help" and I agree it was great!

I officially am jealous of you and what I would consider a PERFECT Sunday!!!