Sunday, December 7, 2008

O Christmas Tree!

Yesterday I went to my parents house to help them pick out their Christmas Tree. This tradition of going to the tree farm and picking out the tree dates back before I can remember. It is a family tradition that I love. There is something about being outside, shivering with nose-numbing wind and arguing the most essential question: What makes the perfect Christmas tree? In my family, we like big, fat, round, huggable trees. We also like trees that don't bite you back. You know the ones. This usually leads us to the long needle, white pine. For years, this species has been our bread and butter. Last year, we decided to switch it up. I know! But we loved our tree last year, and the Douglas Fir holds its needles a little longer.

This year, it was just Dad and I, Mom was not feeling well, so we took the truck and headed out. Because my parents live closer to the "country" than the "city," it takes us about 10 minutes to get to the tree farm - Thomas Tree Farm in Manchester, MD. (Just up the road) Usually our trek lasts quite a while. We debate, look from all angles, assess the qualities of each tree that we spot. Every one gives their input. Dad is usually concerned the tree we pick is too tall. Mom is usually concerned it has holes through the middle. And I am usually worried about the general shape, and tallness of the tree (I don't want it too short, now do I?)

This year, Dad and I set out with our saw, and cart (to carry the tree back). We head to the far field - we know where we want to go, and are on a mission. We find the stand of Douglas Firs and while this is good, its not good enough. Then we spot a row of trees at the edge of the field. These trees look like last year's abandoned crop. And in the middle, with no other trees around, I spot the perfect shaped tree. We beeline it to the tree. Walk around it. Nope, no holes. Pretty full. No dead branches. Dad gets on the ground and checks the trunk - if it is crooked, it is a no-go. (We've been there before, and trying to straighten out a crooked tree is near impossible) This tree has a perfect trunk. We ponder. Look around. And decide. THIS is IT. Dad saws, I pull on the tree to help.

We got this tree home, put it up without incident, and last night we decorated it. It smelled so wonderful in the house. I LOVE that smell. To me, it signifies Christmas.

To top it off, it snowed yesterday evening! It was beautiful.
Below are some pictures. Enjoy! :-)


4 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

Is that your dad in the picture??

ps - looking forward to my handmade card, hint hint. LOL.

mommanator said...

O it is beautiful. I love shor fat ones. no taller than me, in fact built like me! TEEHEE Enjoy it and the CHristmas season Hope Mom is feeling better

Anonymous said...

what a STUNNING tree!!!!

my mind wanders said...

Thanks everybody!

Gal, yep, that's Dad. Your card is on its way. :-)

Mommanator - thanks so much! Mom is better, she over-did it with shopping the previous day. :-)

Kate - thanks!!