Saturday, November 15, 2008

oh brother! (said like Charlie Brown)

Well, it's that time of year again. The doldrums. But not in the sense that nothing is happening, rather in the fact that it is the lowest of the low pressure, with little wind, and very little hope of weather patterns that move things along, coming by any time soon.

Last Friday (a week ago) I seemed to develop an awful cold. I pushed through on Saturday because I took my mom out for her birthday to Gettysburg, PA where we lunched at the historic Farnsworth House Inn and then went to movies. It was a great day, just the two of us. On Sunday I thought I was going to die. :-) It was horrible. Needless to say, I took the day off of work on Monday. This led to my department chair cancelling the conference we had planned to go to on Wednesday because she didn't want me missing two of my classes in a row (I see my students every other day). I was really frustrated by this because I had been longing to hear the keynote speaker - Edward O. Wilson speak.
Watch CBS Videos Online

Anyway, the rest of the week was spent catching up, sleeping, or grading.

I must say too, that I am not the only one feeling the doldrums. My students are not exactly feeling the great optimism that is the beginning of the year. They have entered what is the adolescent girl "snotty mode" and sometimes (especially when not feeling well myself) I have very little patience. I pray for patience and the will to continue to see their faces everyday. Ah, the joy of teaching 16 year old children.

Currently on tap for the weekend, I have 48 lab reports (5 inches of paper) to read, evaluate and make comments about. Ah, Thanksgiving break couldn't come soon enough.

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

oh I am sorry that you missed the conference and am sick (I also have a cold, what a coincidence!).

I am feeling the doldrums as well, wonder if it is just post-election season for me, or maybe a pre-holiday thing??

I hope you feel better soon!!