Monday, August 1, 2011

Squirrels, termites, and bats, oh my!

Well, if one more person tells me that "these are the joys of home-ownership" I will slap them.  How many of them have to deal with Squirrels, termites and bats in the span of 4 months.  I didn't think so, now shut up.

Bat hanging outside my bathroom.

At 3:30am on Friday night/Sat. morning I woke up to Cooper barking ferociously.  I panicked a bit because my phone was downstairs and if I needed to call 911 I was out of luck (good lesson).  Anyway, I listened (really only hearing Coop), and when I got out of bed, that was Cooper's cue to go running out of my bedroom, down the stairs and into the living room.  I waited, thinking that if there was an intruder, I would hear other noise, and since I did not, I peaked my head around over the railing and saw Cooper standing in the middle of the living room barking at a flying object circling the room.  I could tell right away this was not a bird, that it was probably a bat.  Oh joy. 

So I called Cooper up into the bedroom, shut my door and hoped the bat would disappear.  Did I need to mention I didn't get to bed until 2am because I was at a concert?  So I was tired and not about to deal with it at that moment.  (Besides the fact that I was a little freaked out)

So to make a long story short, this bat, after several attempts each evening to get it out of my house, remained in the basement in some nook or cranny until last night when I left the basement door open for 3.5 hours.  I had some bat guys come this morning and they couldn't find him.....honestly, it doesn't mean he's gone, I guess I'll know tonight. 

Bats are so good for us - benefit the environment, cut down on the bugs, I'm happy there are bats in Baltimore, but I am not happy I couldn't get this one out of my house for 3 days, and I was even less happy when he/she swooped and flew around my head.  Be gone with ya! 

That's been the adventure of the last several days.  Oh the joys of home-ownership.

2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

oh boy H, I hate bats. I know they are good for us, but they gross me out (not to the level of snakes but in that same vein). I'm glad you have Cooper, he seems like a good protector for you!

Lucile Lynch said...

A combination of squirrels, termites and bats can definitely ruin any home. I suggest you start getting rid of them right away if you don’t want to enter you bathroom and be greeted by that sight. Yes, bats are very helpful when it comes to keeping the bug count low in a neighborhood. And if you want the bats to stick around without actually entering your home, you can put up a bat house. It will give them a place to stay, but you still have to be sure you lock up your house.