Monday, January 19, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire



I went with a friend last night to see "Slumdog Millionaire." The movie is the story of a young man named Jamal, who finds himself on India's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" TV show. Jamal is suspected of cheating on the show - how could he possibly know the answers? - he is from the slums of India. The movie carefully and brilliantly weaves in the story of Jamal's extraordinary life, and while doing so, reminds us all how to be better. It is heart-warming, but not in a cheesy, saccharin sweet way. Instead, you find yourself rooting for Jamal, along with Indians across the country who find him inspiring. It seems like the "All-American story" - a Horatio Alger story - a man from a humble background finds success and builds a life - but what I was reminded of, was that this is a human story. In a way, I feel like I got a glimpse of Indian history as well, and for that I am grateful.

I loved it, and give it two thumbs up, and 4 stars! Must see.

No comments: