Friday, June 6, 2008

The Moon


I took this picture of the moon tonight out my living room window! I thought it was cool! Unlike the temperatures! It is soooooo HOT! Thank goodness my Dad is coming tomorrow to put in my air conditioner - heat index is supposed to reach 110 F tomorrow! AH! Everybody stay cool.....

Well, it has been an interesting week. Wednesday I went to my parents because I had to get some grading done and I needed a place to actually be outside. I was missing some necessary Vitamin D and just needed to be in the "country." It was great! Instead of grading, I walked around all my mom's gardens, took note of how my clematis was doing, picked some peonies and took pictures of some of my favorites. I got a gorgeous picture of a big fat bumble bee on a bleeding heart! Anyway, so when I settled down to do some exam grading, I set myself up on the porch and commenced. 15 minutes later a massive storm erupted with lightning, gale-force winds and so much water it looked like it was power-washing the driveway! Of course, knowing me, I took my exams inside and went back outside to watch the storm blow through. I LOVE thunderstorms. There is something so exciting about never knowing when the next lighting will flash and the next thunder will boom. I analyze which direction the storm is coming from, take note of the fog lifting from the valley across the street, watch the bunnies scurry into the woods after being startled by a loud thunder crack.

Then I thought.....wait.

ALL MY WINDOWS IN MY APARTMENT ARE WIDE OPEN!!!! AHHHH!!!!

To my horror when I arrived home later that night, there was a wide swath of puddles and wet carpet about 4 feet under all my windows. I had to quickly get my carpet off my hardwood floors - this entailed moving furniture - and putting my only fan on the carpet to try to get it to dry. This is difficult I might add when it is 80 degrees with 90% humidity in your apartment (at 8pm at night and you have yet to make your gifts for the seniors that are graduating tomorrow!) Oh joy. After realizing there was nothing more I could do, I set to distraction, which I might add, I am pretty good at. I sat there in my kitchen with all my crafting tools - paper, scissors, ribbon, glue, glitter and stamps and made little jars for my seniors. Inside the jars were strips of paper that they had written to each other telling each girl how awesome they are. They loved it, and that is what counts....not that I got to bed at 1am. :-)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my check engine soon light came on in my car on the way to my parents. I had that looked at today and for a low, conservative, just what absolutely has to get done price of $500, I got it fixed. FYI, there goes the credit card again. :-( and the money I was saving for a chair for the living room.

Oh yea, and because of the severe water damage, my cable box is broken...no TV, which I am actually happy about, besides the fact that I would like to get that fixed, its been good not to have it to distract me.....see, I am writing this blog at 9:45pm on a Friday instead of watching a made-for-TV-movie. Huh.

Needless to say, tomorrow I am getting the cable fixed, my Dad is coming to put in the air conditioner, my car is fixed (I think!...) and I still have grading to do. whew.

Wow, I feel better getting that off my chest. :-) Hope everybody else is doing just fine!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

H!

I can totally picture you running around trying to get the carpet dry.

Oh my goodness I am so sorry to hear about all this disaster, especially concerning your lovely new apartment.

I hope you have a MUCH better week next week.

ps - I'm game for going cheap furniture shopping for that chair, hint hint.

Anonymous said...

What a day! It's true what they say: 'When it rains, it pours!' And in more ways than one for you this week! I'm so, so sorry.

I'm glad your seniors loved their gifts. What a wonderful idea! You're so creative!!

Hope your weekend is a bit more relaxing. xx