Sunday, September 5, 2010

Balance

I've been thinking a lot lately about a balanced life.  I've thought about how hard it is to overcome the entropy or disorder that is natural in life.  In scientific terms, entropy is the natural order of things - the way life overcomes it by work.  And work requires energy.  This is what I explain to my students every year, and somehow it seems like a metaphor for my life.

But what happens when you don't have enough energy (and I also think - time)?  That is the foundation for work and ultimately balance - but sometimes you just feel that you work and work and work and it just isn't enough to get to the balance. 

How do you find the energy?  How do you rejuvenate the spirit?  What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I kind of think the picture says it all. Go find that place. Both the going there and being there will do you good.

The challenge comes in laying down all the other 'must-do' tasks in order to take that first step.

As a perfectionist with a dreadful Calvinist work ethic (which I shouldn't have because I'm Anglican!!), I know all too well that's easier said than done.

Virginia Gal said...

H, if you figure out the answer to these questions, let me know!