Friday, September 12, 2008

Well, it's been exactly 1 month....


Since I posted an entry and I am feeling a bit guilty. August was a whirlwind. I had my summer camp, getting ready for school, and Joshua's baptism (I am his Godmother officially now!).

I just finished my first full week of school and I am super excited about the fresh start and new beginning. I always love the start of school. I love the school supplies (lets be honest, most people secretly do!), I love seeing my colleagues and catching up on summer events and activities, and I love seeing the kids. What I find most amazing are the students that I struggled with last year, are some of the first to come up to me and ask how my summer was and tell me it is good to see me. It is almost unreal and a little hard to grasp, but I take it in good faith and smile. It really is wonderful to see how the newly minted seniors have changed over the summer. They grow a little taller (I swear!) and there is definitely something in the way they carry themselves that says, "I am not the same girl I was two and a half months ago" that is a bit scary, but in a good way, I see their self confidence and assurance as signs they will be leaving us soon to move on to bigger and brighter things.

I have had a good week. This time last year, I felt like I knew I was going to have a difficult time with two of my four classes. This time, I am excited about all of them. I have some really great groups this year, and I feel very lucky.

I also have realized that I am so much happier doing this job. Parent's night was on Wednesday and I said to the parents, "before I came to Bryn Mawr I was in research, and I feel blessed to have both research and teaching experiences in my life, because I love them both. I am able to give my students a sense of the enthusiasm, energy and love I have for research, and that makes me happy."

It is important for me to remind myself that I love teaching. I mean, I know I do, but on the rough days/weeks, it is important for me to remember why I do it.

The picture is of a praying mantis eating a moth. Look how well it blends in! One of my students was doing her nature journal entry in class and was using it as a subject. I quick grabbed my camera!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Welcome back to blogging. . .and to school. So glad the first week went well. And yes, I love brand new school supplies too - I can't wait to go shopping for them next week!!

Miss you :(

Virginia Gal said...

Happy to see a new post : )

and yes you are right, I am a sucker for school supplies, I totally bought stuff I didn't need this year, just because they were school supplies. I need help : )

I am happy that you are happy, hugs.