Monday, August 4, 2008

Summer Days.....

I could get used to this teacher thing. Yes, I'm admitting it; for those of you that say teachers are slackers and they are lucky to get the summer off, I say to you, my friends, you are right. The summer is a wonderful thing. I have freedom to adhere to my own self-prescribed schedule; I am not dictated by grading, planning, student impromptu meetings, faculty discussions, or researching the latest teaching techniques. I love it. Can't help it. I am tired of fighting people who tell me I have it made, that I have such an easy time.


But I will say, that I deserve it. Yep, that's right. During the school year, I take work home with me. I don't have the luxury of leaving it at the door. I have a deadline every day. I am responsible for standing in front of real human beings (yeah, I know!) and answering to them. They wait expectantly for me to deliver. They await the "teacher" with the "plan," knowing that I will present the task, the content, the material, the lab, something. Of course, that means I have to have "something" to present! Teachers are some of the hardest working professional I know.


But God love the summers. It is The Respite. The proverbial charging of the batteries, and the much needed mental holiday. I will tell you, that without the summer, I couldn't do my job. It would be impossible for anyone - I callenge anyone - to maintain the level of intensity, concentration, and preparation it takes for 12 months. You would see many more teachers in the mental institutions if that were the case.


Sorry about this rant, but I just had to get it off my chest. I love the summer, not for the weather, but for the freedom.

On a different note:
Yesterday, I went with two friends to Annapolis, MD. It was my birthday present to both of them. It was like a little mini vacation. We had a picnic at scenic Quiet Waters Park, then walked along West St. admiring artisans work and jewelry. In the afternoon we had Afternoon Tea at Reynolds Tea Room in Church Circle, and then took a boat ride to St. Thomas Point Lighthouse.


2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

oh the tea room sounds lovely...Ub wants to go : )

my mind wanders said...

Ub - we should do that!!